Friday, September 30, 2011

Rachel Ashwell and The Prairie

~ This is the floor in the foyer of Lilliput Lodge ~
This is the place where you enter into Rachel Ashwell's world and her life on The Prairie ~ the house where she stays, when she is in Texas.  It's lovingly named Lilliput Lodge ~ after her daughter, Lily.  

You know the question that we've all been asked one time or another, "If you could invite five people to dinner, who would they be?"  Well, for me, one of those people would be Rachel Ashwell.  And if you were to have told me years ago, when I was a young mother, that one day I would have a chance to have a chat with Rachel, I would have let out a little chuckle and said "Yeah right."  Monday ~ I had the honor of meeting this remarkable lady ~ at a blogger's luncheon.
~ Rachel pausing to chat during lunch ~

Let me share why I have so much admiration for Rachel ~ mind you the reasons are in no particular order but are merely how they popped in my head on this day.

First, I respect her as a mother.  From reading her books, one can't help but appreciate her unfailing love for her children.  Through the years, she has tenderly shared snippets of Lily and Jake's lives.  I was always impressed by her devotedness to them and moved by her desire to create a beautiful environment they could live in without worry of mussing things up.  Perhaps my deep respect for Rachel as a single mom, stems from the fact that my widowed mother raised four children alone.  

~ Rachel giving a tour of her home on The Prairie ~
Secondly, through her signature Shabby Chic style, she validated my love for tattered things.  She dared to be different and gave me the courage to march to the beat of a different drummer.  She was true to herself and consequently, she has significantly impacted the design world. 
 

And lastly, I appreciate Rachel for her genuine heart ~ she's the real deal.  She is a gentle and gracious hostess and comfortable in her own skin.  She loves blue jeans, t-shirts and cowboy boots and likes them all the more when they're worn and comfy ~ my kind of gal.  She's a lady and speaks softly and sweetly ~ surely she must lose her temper every now and then.  :)

~ A snapshot taken at Shabby Chic Couture on The Prairie ~
I left the ranch that day, feeling rich ~ happy our paths had crossed and so thankful to have met Rachel and her gracious staff ~ they all are truly a special bunch.  Thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts with you.  I hope you have a happy weekend!

2 comments :

  1. I agree...such an inspiring woman and a dream of a day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessi ~ It was a fun day ~ wasn't it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...